Friday, June 12, 2015

When one has a short attention span


This little guy has made me rethink much of my parenting.  He has a spunky personality, lots of spirit, loves to snuggle, and has an extremely short attention span.  And, I do mean short.  REAL short, like 5 minutes.  And that is where I had to rethink some of my expectations.  I taught all the rest of my kids to sit quietly and they did it.  I taught them to listen quietly and they did it.  I taught to walk, not run, in public places.  I taught them many things that good parents do and they did it.  However, he is a horse of a different color.  He has loads of energy.  I try to burn it off and it is like a fuse that never goes out.  Think trick candle.  At first, it used to exasperate me.  Now it doesn't bother me anymore.  We have learned this is how God wired him and one day I am going to see something good come from it.  So, here are a couple of things I have learned to tweak in my own thinking in regards to my sweet, but energetic buddy.

1.  Learning can be done while jumping, laying on the floor, with hands and feet on the floor at the same time, and while snuggling with mama.  They learn way more than you think.

2.  Do a subject then allow for freedom to run and play.  For a bit.  They don't need to sit for a solid hour and get all their work done and then play.  There is room in the magic schedule to tweak things for energy burning.  They learn so much better that way.

3.  Read alouds can be accomplished with a little noise in the background.  I used to make them only color or draw.  And to be deadly silent.  Not anymore!  I now have added the quiet allowance of a bit of play with a prebuilt lego or cars or even small doll (in the case of my girlie).  They may not talk above a whisper if you are under a certain age.  And that includes him.  He catches so much more of the story if he is allowed to play quietly.  And our read aloud time is so much less stressful.

4.  It is ok to draw in church.  No, I was not raised this way and that is okay.  But I found out through trial and error that they listen very well with hands busy.  That goes for all ages of my children here. And, it is not sacriligeous for them to quietly ask mama or papa a question.  I am always amazed at what my kids have caught when we chat later about the sermon.  They do catch it.  They do listen.  They do learn.

These are a few of the things I have learned over the past 5 years of being this boy's mama.  I am sure there is much more for me to learn.  In the meantime, I will embrace the way God made my boy.  I am so thankful for his energy and can't wait to see what God has in store for him.

1 comment:

  1. This is helpful! Thank you for sharing information from your experiences with us younger mothers. =)

    ReplyDelete