Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

How to make Yogurt in the Crockpot


Any time I can save money, I try to do so.  Anytime I can have one less appliance in my kitchen, I will do so.  For years, I have made my own yogurt for my kids.  For a while, I had a Salton yogurt maker and it worked well for me.  But, we had to move to a smaller place and I needed to downsize some of my kitchen stuff.  So, I began to research if I could make yogurt in a crockpot.  I was happy to find out that you could.  After a bit of playing around, I got it to work well for us and was down by one more appliance.  What I also love about this recipe is it makes more yogurt than my yogurt maker did and that is a plus with a big family.  So, here is my tried and true recipe for making yogurt in the crockpot.

Ingredients:

8 c. whole milk
1/2 c. powdered milk
1 greek yogurt, this could be either plain or vanilla, we happen to like vanilla flavored better
your crockpot

First, put 8 cups of milk and 1/2 powdered milk into your crockpot, whisking well, and turn on LOW.  Allow to cook for 2 1/2 hours.  


After the 2 1/2 hours have passed, turn off your crockpot and allow to cool for 3 hours.  DO NOT OPEN THE LID AT ALL!


After the 3 hours have passed, open the lid and put your prebought yogurt into the crockpot.  Stir well.  Wrap well in a large towel.  I use a thick beach towel we have but you could use 2 bath towels.  The point is to keep it warm and let it incubate.   Incubate for 10 to 12 hours.   



As a side note, I find it easiest to do my yogurt making in the afternoon.  I start it right after lunch and by dinner time, it is ready for the incubation process.  I let it sit all night and get up the next morning to it being done and ready for the final steps.

Now your yogurt is done.  It should be thick like yogurt and ready to go.  Now, you can eat as is if you like or you can add honey.  I always add honey to mine.  We have never been thrilled with the taste of plain yogurt, so I add honey to mine.  How much you add is totally up to you.  You know what you like.  

Now, you put it into your jars.  You could recycle glass jars or use canning jars.  I love canning jars, so I use those.  Spoon your yogurt into your jars.  Add lids and refrigerate.  Its all done.  This batch makes a bit over 2 quarts of yogurt.  We eat about a quart per meal.   It will last in the fridge for about 2 weeks and still be good.  That is all, though.  After that it will mold and go bad.  Mine never lasts the whole 2 weeks.  



This is great with granola or all fruit jams or chocolate chips (my kids favorite) or fresh fruit.  Hope you enjoy the ease of making yogurt without adding an extra appliance to your kitchen.  Bon appetit!









No comments:

Post a Comment