Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

Happy birthday, William Shakespeare! (plus the big list of Shakespeare goodness)


Tradition says that Shakespeare was born on April 23, 1564, and he died on his birthday in 1616.   So this year marks the 400th anniversary of his death.   Tradition also states that homeschoolers typically are a bit intimidated by Shakespeare.  Let's face it.  The language is tough, the plays are long, and some are a bit dry for some audiences.  And, some parts are not appropriate for all.  However, it can be done!  And it can be great!  And, it can be a tremendous learning experience!  I wrote here in my first post on Shakespeare and how I teach it to my children.  Now, not all love every Shakespeare play, but all love some Shakespeare.

I thought I would gather together in one place some of my favorite podcasts and bloggers that have talked about Shakespeare and how they taught it.  I have learned much from these ladies and a gentleman and have begun to implement them in our home.  So, for your further studying pleasure and if you would like to get ready to study him more in your homeschool, allow me to present

 THE BIG LIST OF GREAT SHAKESPEARE GOODNESS:

Here is a great podcast from Ken Ludwig on his great book How to Teach your Children Shakespeare.  He wrote this book after teaching his children successfully about Shakespeare and the importance of memorizing parts of the plays.  A must listen.  You can also visit his website www.howtoteachyourchildrenshakespeare.com.

And, how about one more podcast.  This is by far the easiest method I have run across for teaching older children about Shakespeare and about his plays.  I plan to do a bit more of this method myself. Included is a suite of information from good audiobooks and a link to Mystie Winkler's blog posts on Shakespeare and his part in her home.

Here is a fun little post including some great titles for teaching younger children Shakespeare

Two other how to's on studying Shakespeare can be found here and here.  The first one is especially helpful for those who learn classically.

If you like to learn the Charlotte Mason way, may I recommend the various Simply Charlotte Mason posts here.  She even has a breakdown of plays recommended by age.  I love this list.  Its been very helpful.

Sarah MacKenzie just released at her Read Aloud Revival a beginner's guide to Shakespeare.  You can check that out here.

Here is a link to my pinterest board with more ideas and infographics.  I am always adding to it.

Would you like to throw Shakespeare a party for his birthday?  Look no further than here for some inspiration.  Or, if you live in the DC area, as we do, you could attend Folger Shakespeare's annual birthday bash for the bard.  It will be taking place this Sunday.  You can click here for more information.

And, last but not least, in honor of Shakespeare's 400th anniversary, the First Folio is on tour in the United States.  I am looking forward to when it arrives near me.  You can go here for more information on when it will be in your area.  This is a tremendous opportunity for your family.

I hope these things and my first post inspire you to try your hand at teaching your children about this tremendous playwright, the bard, William Shakespeare.  And, happy Birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!







No comments:

Post a Comment