Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2016

DIY Lego Minifigure Christmas Ornaments


I am super excited over my kids Christmas ornaments this year.  So excited that even though I had planned to take a break since my last post till after the New Year, I am doing one more just to share this.  It is super simple and super cute!  

Each year since my first was born, we have gotten them a Christmas ornament of their own, whether handmade or store bought.  Some years I pick the theme, some years they pick whatever they want.  I want them to have a collection of Christmas ornaments when they leave home.  This year I chose the theme, Lego!  All of my kids (and their parents) are Lego fanatics!  So, it seemed completely appropriate to do.  I thought about buying each of them one of those clear balls filled with Lego, but instead, I decided to do this. It made it fun and personal for each one.  


Supplies you will need:

Lego Keychains (these can be bought at the Lego Store or online), one for each child
Needle Nose Pliers
Scissors
1/8" inch Christmas colored ribbons
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
A ruler (not pictured)

I love my children's selection of minifigures.  It so reflects who each kid is!  :)




First, you need to remove the keychain part.  Take your needle nose pliers and open the link right above the small ring near the head of the minifigure.  See picture arrow.  Set aside.  


This is what it will look like once the chain and keyring is removed.

Now they are ready to go!


In order to hang on the tree properly, you will need to turn the ring so that it is sideways.  If you don't do this step, the minifig will twist sideways.  It moves easily so just give it a wee spin.


Next part is up to you or your child.  You can either cut one 6" piece of ribbon or two 6" pieces of ribbon, depending on if you want to add a bow or not.  Half of mine wanted a bow and half didn't.  If you don't want a bow, take your one 6" piece of ribbon, put it through the ring at the top, tie a knot, and you are done.


If you want to add a bow, take a second 6" piece of ribbon and tie into a bow.  Trim the ends to make them even, if necessary. 


Put a small dot of hot glue at the top of your minifigure's head right under the ring.  See picture below for where.  If you place it higher, its ok, the ring just won't be as free to move.  Be sure to keep your ribbon out of the way.



Attach the bow to the hot glue.  And, now this minifigure is ready to hang on the tree!






I just loved how they all turned out!  What a fun addition to anyone's Christmas tree, especially if you have lego lovers like us!

Have a very Merry Christmas!
And, I will see you again after the New Year!













No comments:

Post a Comment