Friday, June 30, 2017

Books I read in June


One of my summer goals for myself was to read more.  I normally only read at night when I am in bed exhausted and drop off within 3 pages.  Seriously.  It would take me ages to complete one book this way unless it was one that was really a page turner.  Then, I would burn the midnight oil to get through it.  I wanted to change that this summer and, hopefully, it will carry on when the school year begins.

So, it may not seem like a ton to avid readers, but for me it is.  Here are the books I read this month.  I also decided to include my read alouds as well as what I have started but not quite finished.

What I read:

The Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers - this was so good, I read it in 2 days almost non-stop flat.  I have always loved Francine Rivers as a Christian author.  This was no exception.

Brown Girl Dreaming by Josephine Woodson - this was a fine autobiography but it was not my style.  It is written completely in prose.  And, while I love prose, an entire autobiography of it was too much.  But, it does give you a great look at her life. 

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - I wanted to read these to keep up with my kids.  I like to do that especially with the stuff that is extremely popular to see if it is worth it.  Plus, it gives me great conversation starters.  The first time I tried Hunger Games a couple of years I really didn't like all the senseless killing.  But, I decided to give it another try this month.  It is still alot of senseless killing, but I see it now with a different set of eyes.  I have not completed the trilogy yet, but am hoping for a resolution to it all.  I can so far say that I like them though and can see why they are popular with the younger generation.  

Books I read aloud:

Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics by - Yes, I still read aloud to all my children (ages 19-7) once or twice a week.  Now that they are older, it is harder to fit the times in but we treasure it each week and I miss when we are too busy to fit it in.  We loved the first one in the series, Mr. Lemoncello's Library.  So, it was natural to read the second one aloud when it came out.  This was a very fun read. You want to just keep reading to see how it turns out.  Highly recommended.

With my littles, I am reading through a variety of things:

We Both Read series, various titles - we found these books at our library and have fallen in love with them because we both get to read out loud together.  Plus, the stories are just plain fun.

Elephant and Pig books by Mo Willems - these are great first readers, some have even won the Dr. Suess award.  Great for summer reading and funny stories to boot.

Various The Lion Guard books because my son is over the top about them right now.

Penny by Ken Henkes - a favorite author

What I started reading but have not completed:

The Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald - this is our current readaloud as a family

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - gotta finish the trilogy to see what happens, you know

Alex and Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz - I am an over the top (maybe) fan of the musical Hamilton, so this book was a read draw to me

So there you have it. I am so happy with what I got through this month both for myself and my family.  I know avid readers can swim circles around me, but I am proud of how much I did this month.  Excited for what all I will get done in July!  What have you been reading?  Inspire me!


No comments:

Post a Comment